Lenten Confessions:
We are officially
half way through Lent. For my Lenten Journey I chose to add something to my
life and I started exercising again. In the last 30 days I have exercise for
over 12 hours, walked over 64,000 steps which equates to ~35 miles. But I'm not
done. My journey is not complete and therefore neither is the work God has
asked me to do. I always stop at this point in my Lenten Journey to reflect on
what Jesus was doing and thinking as his "Last 30 Days" begins. There
is so much to do and so little time. The disciples don't seem to be getting the
big picture still. Will his journey be complete?
When I started
working at The Maschhoffs, we were asked to read "The First 90 Days",
a motivational, business philosophy book which deals with setting goals,
meeting achievements, guarantying accomplishments, and how to deal with people
you work with when starting a new position or employment. It quite easily
relates to any task you are starting and how to approach it. We have made jokes
that when we make a mistake at work, like cause a server to crash, that we are
directed to start reading "The Last 30 Days
Minutes", a book about how you get fired and start looking for a new
career. So is Jesus in his last 30 days or the first 90?
This is the period
of time that I want to know more about Jesus.
I often look at this time with sadness in that his earthly journey is
ending; ending in death. But then I'm joyful that it is only through death, and
conquering it, that we are saved. So the sad must come before the good, there
is always light beyond the darkest hour. I believe that though it looks like
this is Jesus' last 30 days it is in fact the first 90. It's the beginning of
stories to be told, lives to be saved, and hearts to be healed. Jesus has a lot
on his plate right now. His current projects must reach a completion point
before the next ones can begin. There are many followers that don't want the
projects to end, and those that don't want the projects to succeed or even
start. This small startup not for profit company is just getting off the ground
but it's business plan is setting into motion a grow spurt that will include
billions of people, last for centuries, and only have one CEO...ever! There is
very little pay but the benefits are unmatched by anything else. Though we look
at Lent as a time for reflection, Jesus is using this same time to build a
workforce willing to commit to God, to do God's work, to save us from our sins.
Take some time at
this halfway point to see where you have been. Look to the past, not to change
it but to learn from it. Look to the future for the new opportunities prepared
for you. Choose a path in your journey that you can follow. I pray that path is
with God.
May the grace of God
be received by all.

No comments:
Post a Comment