Thursday, March 7, 2013

Lenten Confessions 2013 #17

Monday, March 4, 2013

Lenten Confessions:

I remember an old I Love Lucy episode (Season 3, Episode 3, aired October 19, 1953) when Lucy and Ethel were to perform in a production for their Ladies Group.  They were going to sing "Friendship". As with all episodes of this timeless classic show, things good haywire, the ladies buy the same dress and that starts a fight. Lucy and Ethel, the Best of Friends, the initiators of Best Friends Forever (BFF) tear the dresses apart while singing the song. As predictable as any of the episodes in the series, it all ends with hugs for everyone and Lucy and Ethel are BFFs once again.

Friendship….what does friendship mean to you? Who is your BFF? Do you have a BFF? My answers to the questions are not what you may think. Friendship is very important to me.  My personality type depends on surrounding and pleasing my friends. But sad to say I do not have a BFF. Now before you get all huffy on me please hear me out. I've gotten into trouble trying to explain this before. Trudy is my wife, she is my sole existence. To me she is so far above a BFF status it's not even funny. We are one. We know when the other is hurting, we know when the other one is laughing or crying. We finish each other's thoughts and sentences. Without her I would not be a person, let alone alive. Trudy is more than my BFF! To me my BFF is someone I call at a moments notice to ask for help, go to a sporting event, sit on the porch and drink a beer. This person would be male because having a female friend that close doesn't fit well in a marriage and I would never jeopardize my marriage.

So as I said, I do not have a BFF. I have friends but not in the category of BFF. Not reaching that level is no ones fault or not within their capabilities, its where I have placed them because of my past transgressions. There was a time in my life when I had BFFs . My childhood BFFs were the best, it was me that faulted the relationship. I failed them as a friend. To this day I deeply regret my actions. Although I an still friends with them, I will never earn the status of being their BFF again and rightfully so. As I got older and wiser I joined the military and started my BFF quest again. I quickly found out that one thing the military can do with the utmost proficiency is break friendships. As soon as you get comfortable enough to trust someone, one of you will receive orders and move away. So now I have placed a psychological barrier to my BFF quest. I can't take the loss anymore. I don't even have close friends at work. Since I left the Navy I haven't lived in the same county to which I work. So if you don't live by me I've mentally wiped you from consideration for BFF status.

For my Lenten Journey maybe I'll try to mend my ways. I should make my first BFF Jesus. He will probably keep me on the right path. He will let me know when I stray and always welcome me back. He won't move away and he won't reject me for my misbehaviors. This is the friend I need.  This is the friend I want to be. This can be the Best Friendship Forever.

FRIENDSHIP

If you're ever in a jam, here I am
If you're ever in a mess, S-O-S
If you ever feel so happy, you land in jail; I'm your bail.
It's friendship, friendship, just a perfect blendship.
When other friendships have been forgot,
Ours will still be hot. 

If you're ever up a tree, phone to me.
If you're ever down a well, ring my bell.
If you ever lose your teeth, and you're out to dine... borrow mine.
It's friendship, friendship, just a perfect blendship.
When other friendships have been forgate,
Ours will still be great. 

If they ever black your eyes, put me wise.
If they ever cook your goose, turn me loose.
If they ever put a bullet through your brain... I'll complain.
It's friendship, friendship, just a perfect blendship.
When other friendships have been forgit,
Ours will still be it. 

May the grace of God be received by all.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment