The family and I are planning our trip west from Illinois to Oregon. We will be attending the Bentley Family Reunion at Beverly Beach State Park. I love the driving but I'm not always a camping person. My brother-in-law reserved two cabins for everyone to use. So far there are at least 8 people attending.I am excited that the beach is a short walking distance from the campgrounds. I need my ocean fix every 4 years or so. I don't necessarily need to go into the water but I need to smell the fresh ocean air. When Hurricane Katrina hit and moved up the Mississippi River we could smell the salt air in the air here in the St. Louis area.
Another geographical feature I miss since moving to the mid-west are mountains. The land of Lincoln is flat. If the elevation changes more than a foot they call it a hill. I call it a speed bump. At least this trip will take us through some serious mountains. We have to cross the Rockies, Sierra Nevada's and the Cascades.

The whole road trip is 33 hours of scheduled driving time. We leave my work in Missouri at midnight on the June 27th. We will stop for breakfast in Lincoln, NE. The first day will end in Cheyenne, WY for an overnight stay. Day 2 will include an 8 hour drive to Salt Lake City, UT. We hope to visit an old friend, Jeff S., during our overnight stay there. Day 3 is the final leg to Klamath Falls, OR. It is 2000 miles each way. I plan on doing the same on the return in July.
I was able to save almost $100 in hotel rates by using Travelocity. Yeah that's right, the Gnome guy. They have some great deals if you plan it right. Hopefully I can save the same or even more on the return trip.
Road Map
I can't wait for our trip. I wll get to see my brother and sister in law and there lovely family. But most of all both families will finally be united as one and get to know each other.
ReplyDelete