Monday, June 20, 2011

Life's Crossroads

What do you do when you reach a crossroad in life? Many run and hide. Some attack it with vigor and force. Others stroll the path and allow fate to determine the outcome. Life is full of choices. When we choose one direction over another we usually do so because we believe it's the best for us, either now or in the foreseen future. But when the choice is wrong we hope we can correct the mistake quickly enough. If not we try to make the best of it and keep moving on.



I have found myself at crossroads in my career several times. When I was in high school I hated going to classes. I joined the navy because I wanted to avoid college (Crossroad Mistake #1). I joined the military so I could fly airplanes off aircraft carriers. I quickly found myself having to go to school for the next 18 months. During that time of training I got married, started a family and worked really hard to change my career path from haze gray and underway to Top Prop P3 Navy (Crossroad Success #1). This career choice sent me to over 30 countries, around the world twice in one deployment alone, and the opportunity to gain technical skills that would be the basis of career choices in the future.

After 11 years and over 3,000 hours of flying I was told by the Navy that flying was no longer an option for me. I was furious. I worked so hard to be where I was, but destiny put up a stronger fight. I was told to choose a new naval career. Finally my eyes opened and I realized that finding submarines was not a life long career and I was actually being blessed with a chance to take a new path. I chose Data Processing. Four years later the navy presented me with another opportunity to take my new career to the civilian life. I've been successful so far as Computer Engineer. I earned several certifications, traveled the nation from coast to coast, and met the most interesting people.

Crossroads presented that relate to love are more affecting than careers. The wrong decision can leave you hurt, lonely and depressed. The right choice can connect you with your sole mate and make you feel that your life is complete. I have been very lucky in that the one choice I made in 1980 has proven to be the best decision I have ever made in my life. I made an honest effort to pursue a sexy, intelligent, and loving person. Three years later I married her. We shared the joys of raising two wonderful children. We watched them grow, leave the nest and pursue their own lives. We have shared good times and bad, but always together. The crossroads I face now, she faces with me. I'm proud to have here by my side.

Though I have made many mistakes, I think my successful decisions have been far better. I try to look forward to future choices instead of running from them. A positive attitude can only help face tough situations. If you find yourself troubled and confused when standing in the middle of a crossroad, look to your family, friends, and most importantly God. They just might be able to help.

2 comments:

  1. I love this and I love you. Thank you for opening your heart for everyone to know you alittle bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAAAWWWEEEE Trudy, where do I find a guy to say sweet things like that???? If I had a guy like that, I would hold him on my heart forever!!!!

    ReplyDelete