I've recently experienced an epiphany in this regards. When I was growing up my role models were Darren Stevens (Bewitched), Greg Brady (Brady Bunch), Steve Douglas (My Three Sons), and Bill Davis (Family Affair). All these men had important jobs they had to attend to support the family. They dress professionally, carried briefcases, and worked a normal 9-5 workweek.

Up until now I have come close to achieving my childhood dreams of being like these men. I wish I would have been able to reach this point earlier in my life but I'm glad to say i think I'm finally there. I now have a great peace of mind with the job I have, what my responsibilities are, and how I present myself to others.
Some may say, "Blake, you've been there all along" but they're wrong. I joined the Navy to avoid going to school. It was a stupid move in terms of limiting my education but a positive one in respects to being able to support a new family. Let me be perfectly clear, starting my family so early in life is not a regret. I would have liked to have stated it a little later in my life but starting it is one of the many blessings I have received from the grace of God.
My time in the Navy was without schedule. I had to call into the Duty Office to check my schedule for the next day. Deployments often took me away from my family. Even shore duty had its pitfalls. Although the military experience greatly increased my marketing capabilities when it came to seeking employment, it was definitely hard on me let alone my family.
When I left the service and started my civilian career, my time away from my family didn't stop. While at NISC, I traveled on average 2 weeks every month around the country. Even though I was home every weekend, I was gone a lot. This position was the closest I had ever been to living my dreams, but it wasn't complete.
My time at Savvis, even though I worked only 3 days a week, took a greater toll from my family because I was not available when the were. It took 6 years to finally break that schedule, which in itself was far too long. It was like being denied access to my family for the entire time.
Now I have a "normal" 8-5 job close to home with weekends off. My wife has taken on the role of "Happy Homemaker" and takes very good care of me. I did not ask her to do so, she does it out of love and respect. I always try to let her know how much I appreciate her efforts. If any any thime she wasn't to stop is OK with me but it helps fulfill the dream of what I envisioned being the husband and father in a family is all about.
So as I live the dream I've always desired I leave you with one thought. Keep wishing on that star and your dreams will come true but be careful what you ask for.


No comments:
Post a Comment